Permits in Memphis

Memphis and Shelby County

Depending on the needs of your production, filming in Memphis and Shelby County may require a filming permit from the Memphis & Shelby County Film and Television Commission. Permitting is easy and only costs $1. However, if a permit is required, so too is production insurance.

Permits and insurance are needed for thing like:

  • Filming on city or county owned property i.e., park, school, etc..if more than a 3 or 4 person shoot.
  • Filming on Beale Street – even just a one person shoot
  • Closing a street or blocking traffic – would also enlist police support
  • Using any city or county services/personnel – i.e police, fire dept., ambulance, etc.

All filmmakers are strongly encouraged to contact the Film Commission regardless of if they think a permit is needed so that you can not only inform the city of your production and avoid possible delays, but also to access their wealth of knowledge on locations and resources as well! Get started by reaching out as early as possible in your production planning process:

Sharon Fox O’Guin
The Memphis & Shelby County Film and Television Commission
901.527.8300 ext 2

Memphis Film Prize Sponsors

©2017 Film Prize Foundation, Inc.